Thursday, March 12, 2009

Vaccines are better not stronger

I am still a little miffed I didn't correct that mother at Babies in the Library. She claimed vaccines are "so much stronger" these days.
The signs at Public Health, where I have to go for vaccines, beg to differ. They give the example of more efficient vaccines, improved by technology and a better understanding of how vaccines work. For instance, the diptheria-tetanus-pertussis vaccine today has 34 "germs" in it. The one I received in 1980 had 3017.
Obviously, I turned out okay.
The little dude just woke up from his post-shots nap. We'll see how he's doing. At worst, I expect a little bit of the cranky, with a touch of a fever. Oh, and a skin reaction on his leg, but that's his eczema at work. Will I be running to the doctor to complain about how my child's protection from diseases that could maim or kill him gave him a fever?
What kind of mother do you think I am?

No comments:

Post a Comment